Location: East Hill, Colchester
Sunday Worship: 8.00am, 10.00am, & 6.30pm
The oldest part of the church dates from the 12th century when the parish of St. James was probably created.
The church is the result of building changes which occurred between the 12th and 14th centuries. The nave, tower and the two aisles are the earliest parts of the church dating from the 13th to the 15th centuries, the chancel and Chapels of Our Lady and St. Peter and St. Paul were added when the east end was completely rebuilt in about 1500.
The fabric of the building was badly neglected for some 300 years following the 16th century Reformation and in the mid-19th century was in danger of collapsing until it was rescued by timely restoration work. The interior of today’s church is largely as it must have appeared at that time, with some notable addition, such as the Calvary on the roof beam at the chancel step.
Following the siege of Colchester in 1648, it was in the churchyard that the defeated Royalists stacked their weapons before marching off into captivity.
Since the late 19th century St. James has been an important centre of the Catholic wing of the Church of England in North Essex.
Its present congregation is drawn from a wide area and from a variety of backgrounds and experiences.
Fr Peter Walker SSCThe Rectory
76 East Hill
8.00am – Mass
10.00am – Mass
6.00pm – Evening Worship
Mass at different times and locations, please check website.
10.00am – Mass at the S. Paul’s Centre, Belle Vue Road
7.00pm – Mass
12.30pm – Mass
9.00am – Mass at S. James’ Primary School, Guildford Road
9.00am – Mass